TADS Project Meeting (Part A) –10am Friday. 2nd October 2020

Minutes of Meeting  Part(A)

(The video of the meeting and PowerPoint presentation used during meeting can be found in the electronic repository in the members only section of the website)

Present:

Steve Davidson, Carol Stevens Ian Burn, Neil Forde, Stephen Barber, John Wall  Christine Poile, Alison Priestley, Richard Brown.

Post meeting note

Part two of this meeting was about website issues. There was a general feeling that this was more properly dealt with at the management committee.

Steve Davidson 

We seem to be doing quite well, this year, finishing quite a lot.  I’ve noticed in terms of projects; we’ve been working on a lot of tiny projects. Each meeting there are half a dozen small bits and pieces that people have looked up.  There are three major parts to today’s meeting. Both Carol and John have emailed about the History Society Aims and Organization of Projects and I’ve got some website and social media issues.   Another theme is that we should be clearer about which discussions are the domain of the management committee.

Action 

All:  Document the work that goes into small projects and include in planning.

Action 

All:  It was agreed that the second part of this meeting which included discussions about the website should be more properly dealt with at the next management meeting.

Previous meeting 

First item during previous minutes, was the issue of which came first, Wyford Manor or Tadley Manor? Chris said she seemed to remember that Wyford  was the original and Tadley manner was  built for Sir Henry, Carol suggested that we work on a timeline to give  a clearer picture of how often it was constantly called one or the other and  when one name was dropped and the other one adopted?

Christine  

David Collins down at Pamber Heath, has got quite a lot of information on the Pamber Priory, and that’s where a lot of this stuff comes from. Is is the Priory documentation about what they what they gained and what they gave up and what they sold when they shut shop.

Action 

Steve and  Christine (in a support role) will look  at a timeline and maps for Wyford Farm. Need to contact David Collins, as he is an absolute mine of information in terms of Pamber Priory. Chris and Richard have contact details.

Previous meeting 

The other previous minutes issue, was about what should we do to facilitate Reading University  involvement. Rob was talking about decisions  in January, he has to define the project by December, particularly if they want funding for a student. Students are given a list of projects decided by him and they choose. The old village and the Portway  are  possible projects.

Richard 

We agreed we have to be really flexible. Because it depends on the student’s interests, it depends on what the university can support at the time. TADS wants recognition, for our contribution, whatever that might be. I think if the students are going to do pieces, so that we are seen as a resource to academia as well.

Action 

Richard proposed providing an information pack and then present him with whatever he needs or wherever the student needs, nearer the time. Carol suggested we need to be have done this by the end of November. The general conclusion was that is we contact them after the next meeting. Ian said  the end of term for the Universities is  Friday 11th of December 2020.

Steve Davidson 

Moving on to the Major Roller project … we all felt the talk provided at the last meeting was excellent. The newspaper cutting that I found going through the newspaper archives about his horse being buried just outside the graveyard, and then the graveyard expanded so the horse was inside. Is there any evidence of his horse’s grave in the graveyard?

Ian 

It’s a lovely story. And it’s almost in typical of his character, we think the horse is at his house in the back garden. Currently, we’ve been to the graveyard, but we don’t think it’s, it’s there. There’s a picture of the gravestone in one of the books, that we think is in the back garden of the house. We have been to the house and we have poked around in the garden. The horse would disintegrated but we thought there would have had to been sort of a fairly large mound to accommodate size of a horse. The previous owners had been there for quite some time, and they didn’t consider it the least bit likely. They had never seen a headstone that would mark anything. I think the answer is about the extension to the graveyard is to go back to the parochial minutes, and see if, in fact the graveyard was extended?.

Action 

Check church records to see if churchyard was extended. Carol offered to contact Richard Barlow and see if he has any points to the direction of Well, I know where the direction would be in the diocese records. But if he in his head knows of any anything in the past or any of his career, the parishioners know of anything that indicates that the graveyard was extended at any point in time. Steve to provide date of article.

Carol 

And if you if you go down there, like when Richard and I  went down there, there’s a clear defined break between the bit that’s overgrown, which I assume as the original graveyard, and the bit that is maintained by whoever. Yeah, and I suspect that must be where the boundary was. In which case, if Gabardine was buried there, they must have found the bones when they extended the graveyard.

Action 

Have a look at the horse story, contact Richard at the church and put the Major Roller info in the research area of the website, we’ll discuss this further when we get to the website topic.

Steve Davidson 

Moving on the future  program of history talks. Stephen contacted me. He’s got bookings now for most of next year. We’re aiming for a final program by December. Richard pointed out that it really ought to be a management committee meeting decision for Monday afternoon.

 

Decision 

We should try and be more careful about separating out projects committee issues from management committee issues

Carol 

Lots has happened relevant to the church graveyard since the last meeting. Richard said he is quite happy to go back again. Carol went down after they had the working party on the Saturday to see just how much they’ve done. I don’t think they had that many people involved. They had cleared some of it to the south side, near the fence, and they’d had a bonfire, which is good to know that it’s acceptable to have a bonfire on site There’s the patch that Richard and Ian cleared, farther up the  slope up the hill,  towards the new graveyard area, the northern side, and then a bit the PCC did, but there’s still a big area in between that hasn’t been cleared.

Carol 

Richard, said that he didn’t think there were any graves there, because the plan doesn’t indicate anything much there.  I don’t see that we should terminate the clearance just because we don’t think there’s a graveyard grave there. But they certainly work still to be done that and Richard Harlow is perfectly happy for us to go back and do as much or as little as we want. Just to let him know when we’re going for two reasons. He says from safety reasons, he knows we’re there and be that he can thank us when we’ve been. So if another Working Party, it’s up to us to arrange a suitable dry occasion. And just follow along and make sure I inform Richard

Action 

It was agreed that Richard photographing the grave was not a bad idea. it’s all part of the clearance project. There’s no point and clearing if we don’t have any purpose for doing so because it will just go back. So if we’re going to clear it, there needs to be an end reason for doing so. Not just as an exercise in manual labor.

Steve Davidson 

When we photograph the graves, are we going to put them on the map to find a grave?Carol said,  we haven’t talked about the long term implications or project on this one. It was just that we thought well, while we were clearing it. Obviously photographing is the important bit because in a few years’ time, we’re not in a position to do it, and probably nobody else will either. Once they’ve been covered up and overgrown, they’re going to be lost and gone and forgotten.

Steve Davidson 

Steve said that Carol had provided the church information from Richard for all graves and the burial records? They have more detail than the listing we have already got on the website.

Decision 

Steve to scan in the more detailed church records and put them on the website and Richard to photograph gravestones with help from others. Ian has  scanned Ralph’s map, and Richard has a copy Profile Print is making copies, could we ask him to know laminate those bigger copies and so that they’re working copies, we can mark things up from them. Steve would like a large-scale electronic copy on the website. John pointed out that you can work with it online, zoom out and out and superimpose it etc. We need to decide a suitable day before the weather gets too poor later in the year.

Steve Davidson 

Organising TADS archives is an ongoing activity. Steve currently has the picture box and the book box. Carol is making progress on the physical archive and we’re making progress on the website electronic archive in the members area.

Decision 

Carol to book the hall for a day in half term so we can go back, put those two boxes back in and look at cataloging the rest of the stuff we have got there.

Steve Davidson 

Quaker Graveyards became an issue because of a discussion between Carol and Bill Monger. He had said, there was a graveyard, opposite the picture in the calendar with the Forge.  Steve looked it up but got the wrong graveyard and spent time looking at James Potter’s life He was a Quaker who was prosecuted essentially just for being a Quaker. Carol asked if there is anybody out there who gives talks on Quaker graveyards? Because that bangs brand site it bought at Baughurst is a very important Quaker site. Florence Davidson’s has a detailed book, which we’ve have online.

Carol 

She’s very anecdotal. They have to give through it’s a bit of a pinch of salt because she knows picking bits up here, there wherever. There must be a local Quaker group in the local area, the only one Richard knew of the Reading Quaker meeting house and graveyard some years ago, through the family history society, that was pretty knowledgeable.

Decision 

Ali said she could talk to her friend about sources of information about Quaker history in this area.  TADS have a name of a woman who would give a talk on Quakers, but Steve was never able to get in touch with her.

Steve Davidson 

On the topic of speakers, we thought the issue was finding speakers who have zoom experience, we have now had three speakers that never used zoom before. We can arrange a test meeting to make sure they’re happy, so it’s not an issue. Typically, we are paying up to £60.

Decision 

Aim for Stephen to have a list of next year talks, mainly zoom for the whole of next year by December 2020.

Steve Davidson 

Research on the Tadley Roll. Steve has  been following Rev. Saulez,  the father of the boys that created the roll. Saulis was doing all sorts of things including vegetable shows  around that time. The vegetable shows are weird, during the day locals compete for the   biggest cucumber and things like that. But in the evening, there is the dinner, where all the all the local people are not invited, and Saulis  in the local conservative organization. And they’re making toasts to the army and navy and discussing what’s going on in Parliament and the war with France and Spain.

Carol

It’s a showcase of the great and the good get onto these committees and get involved in all sorts of weird things. I know we’ve we’ve noticed that before, what about Linden Bell who used to do these talks during the war? Ian agreed saying the talks were on Russia and the threat of Russia and communism? I think Roller gave talks as well. He stood up actually at some of the open air meetings in because they had some rallies or something, didn’t they on the green and tadley. So also, the were the Conservative Party meetings held in Hamburg. And that included the man the man that owns all the fields around the church.

Decision 

 Carol suggested that there’s more information in fact, and fable if you want to fill it out with all this and just extract that piece and put it on the members area.

Steve Davidson 

The meeting moved on to the issue of the Tadley Roll. The critical question turns out to be “how old were the children when they made it?”  When one child was 11 it was 1871 and there is a map from 1871 of Tadley local area.  I think you said it was the late 1880s. Well, 1880s would make the children actually be adults! The real issue is we don’t know when the roll is made. And since the children who made the roll, it would suggest that it was earlier than 1878, more like 1871.

Action 

We should try and find the original reference from the Women’s Institute. Carol said they are in the archives.

Steve Davidson 

The other thing that I found out about Saulez, is that he seemed to live in every cottage near the church, including Hatch cottage, and also  Fairlawn House. So he, as he moved around, he moved to bigger and bigger house. Saulez seems an interesting character, his older sons did a concert  playing violin, apparently.

Carol 

Carol pointed out that at one time we had contact with the family in 2001. Relations of Sulis include somebody called Captain Aston, of Winchester who was related to Sulez and also a Mrs. Sally Fury. In Wales, who was also related to him, anybody able to access some register of electors and so on and so forth these days. Derek used to do that? You see, that’s the two names I’ve got. that was  18 to 20 years ago. These weren’t young people at the time. I don’t suppose they’re young.

Decision 

Carol suggested to consider a project to follow up on Saulez, a little project in itself. Because you know, he was quite obviously country to puberty quite a bit when he was here. And he is the first recorded rector of Tadley.

Steve Davidson 

So I think that you can see a theme growing, going back through the minutes, every set of minutes, there are always small projects.

Action 

It was agreed that that steve should create a list of these mini projects on the website. So that we somehow record the useful work we do each week is efficiently recorded.

Chris 

On to the 1021 calendar, everybody agreed how good the calendar looks. We’re now   printing and advertising. Carol said we were too far behind U3A have we’ve already got orders for the calendar. It’s always cheap, isn’t it they just cover costs. The files for our calendar are with the printer and unless anyone else has been in to see him to try and get some sort of idea when we can see some copies of it and what sort of cost they’re going to be. At the same time. It’s a question of working out how we’re going to publicize it.

Action 

Ian to do a poster that can go up wherever we want to put posters. Steve said the local shop would sell it. An obvious place is the website we sold three new books this month. Carol offered to be a local sales contact, Ian was working on the principle  that we would buy orders of 50 to start with and then depending on how well that went, we would order in bulk quantities after that.

Steve Davidson 

Tadley Bowling Green, this is another small project that came up. And I think the thing Carol said she knew Alan Aubrey who would know about the bowling green. Richard and Steve talked about the idea that Tadley was known as a terrible dark place with, , highwayman and danger. And at the same time, there’s all these big houses like the Wilderness and Fairlawn house and rich people. These two descriptions don’t quite fit together. So I think there is some interest in looking trying to understand that relationship. Rich enclave round or travel aid? And then the rest of it so long. Well, Western? Steve found 1880 newspaper articles  “ever since my childhood, my parents say don’t go to Tadley It’s such a dangerous place”.

Carol 

Is a Newbury Weekly News digitized?

Action 

Steve to look up any articles for the date of the USAAF plaque, which is the sixth of June 1997.

Steve Davidson 

So the website will come to that in a minute, it’s working really well.  Ali and Neil are doing a fantastic job with the social networking. That’s taking off, but there seems to be more and more conversation on there. We’re gaining  several people a week, it’s going really well. There’s a problem that I think we need to change what we say when they join. I think we need to change it so that it’s very explicit, that they are only joining Facebook not TADS. Neil, Ally  and I need to look at that.  We’ve also got an automatic welcoming thing that I think we should probably switch off and talk to all the people who join. That’s, again, a potential way to get more members.

Steve Davidson 

The Portway Route project is also progressing well. Richard did a very good write-up.

Carol 

The garden Memorial Garden going nowhere at the moment. Nicky is following through with clearing, taking down one of the shrubs to make room for the sign and getting the gardener to tidy it all up. But unfortunately, the person that Carol thought was going to be able to negotiate a half the job with him doing the designing and producing. We would do the lectern, and the stand, and so on and so forth. Unfortunately it was an f all or nothing quote, costing about  £900 mark, and we’ve only been allocated 600. Carol was of the impression we were going to be able to do half the job ourselves and that half the job would be done free apart from tools by Richard. But that seems in Andy’s case, not to been possible. So I then went to another source that had sent these poly-carbonate samples, and they were again, were very helpful they were willing just to do the board, the plaque in polycarbonate, , etc. That’s designing it and printing it onto this poly-carbonate sheet, etc. And just to do that was £900 pounds.

Steve Davidson 

I think, as we said at the beginning, we need to separate out things that are not project and do them in the management committee meeting,

Carol 

Carol said she needed   suggestions as to who else to go to get a cheaper the quote or anything? If anybody’s got any contacts or any suggestions as to what other route she could take to approach somebody else for doing this lectern.

Decision 

John said he might be able to have a look and see if I can find something a bit more cost effective. He can’t guarantee anything.

Final note 

It was decided that part two of this meeting on the structure of the website should  more properly be dealt with at the next Management committee meeting.

Share this page