Timeline of Tadley and St Peter’s Church

Settlements on the Burghclere and Kingsclere downs, beside east-west trade route, the Ridgeway.

Local area is the centre of wool industry.

Tumuli found at Wootton, and on south side of Wasing Wood.

 

Bronze and Iron Age

OS

Important trade and communications centre at Silchester, with pagan temple and later Christian basilica.

Roman finds at Sherborne St John. Tile kiln and possible villa in district.

 

Roman

OS
PCG

Benedictine abbeys established at Winchester, at Reading, and at Porchester.

Reading has hospital at Silchester, and Winchester has hospital at Basingstoke.

St Peter-by-Winchester is called Hyde Abbey.

 

Saxon

OS WCG

King Edward the elder confirms in law, “to my beloved bishop Fridestan“, and in the presence of the royal family, peers and bishops, “Land in several places; 20 measures at Vferantune with the wood at TADANLEAGE; 15 at Wealtham, and 5 at
BRADANLEAGE”.

 

 

909 AD

WCL

Winchester cathedral (the old minster) becomes a priory under Brithnoth, from King Edgar.

 

963

WCG

Boarhunt chapel, chancel built

 

c.1000

ASC

Battle of Hastings. Hugh de Port’s distinguished service rewarded with large estates in North Hants with baronial hall at Basing.

 

1066

PCG HFC

Domesday Survey; Tadley chapel mentioned.

 

1086

VCH

Basing church founded under patronage of Mont St Michel.

 

1089

PCG

Hugh de Port, having entered monastery at Winchester, dies and leaves estate to his son, Henry.

 

1096

PCG HFC

Henry de Port builds West Sherborne priory, with help of Winchester monks. Bishop William Gifford of Winchester consecrates building as cell of mother house of St Vigor (Victor) at Cerisy le Forêt (Cerasy) Normandy; endowed with tithes of Basing, Bramley and West Sherborne. Also presents to living of Church Oakley.

 

1106

To 1110

HFC PCG FAD

West Sherborne, All Saints, enlarged; chancel arch and north door built.

 

1140

PCG

Porchester Abbey moves to Southwick, and acquires existing Boarhunt chapel

 

 

1145

PCG

East Sherborne, St Andrew, built for St John family.

 

c.1150

PCG

Overton, St Mary, built

 

c.1150

PCG

Sulhampstead Abbotts built. last likely date for building of Tadley St Peter.

 

c.1160

PCG

William Hotot owns estate worth knight’s fee in Tadley. First reference to Tadley Manor Place?

 

1166

VCH

Main part of priory in use, with farm, fishponds and domestic buildings.

 

c.1180

FAD

Benham family holds land in Hants and Berks.

 

c.1189

DB

Basing Church built. (see above, 1089 AD)

 

c.1190

PCG

Silchester Church built.

 

c.1190

PCG

Bramley wall painting, murder of
Thomas á Beckett.

 

c.1200

PCG

Crusader chapel at Brimpton, possibly built Emblem of Knights of St John carved over door

 

c.1200

ASC

Robert Hotot leases estate in Tadley worth knight’s fee to Henry de Soberton

 

1205

VCH

William, great grandson of Henry de Port, marries heiress of St John family and takes her name, some time before this

 

1205

FAD PCG

Priory chancel and wall paintings added.

 

c.1220

FAD

King Henry III separates Hundred of Chutely from Basing estate.

 

1228

?

Peter de Rufibus, bishop of Winchester, acquires patronage of Basing church and chapel, and passes it on to Selborne priory.

 

1233

PCG

Richard (Philip) de Lucy rector of Overton.

 

1246

LOI

FAD

Pope Innocent appoints chaplain Matthew Alperino rector of Overton, but revokes  order when Philip de Luci proves he is still rector.

 

1247

FAD

East Sherborne, St Andrew, tower built.

 

c.1250

PCG

Henry fitz Stephen (fitz Henry) breaks into bishop’s wood, Taddele, and cuts down oak trees.

 

1253

FAD DB

Porchester Abbey moves to Southwick, and acquires existing Boarhunt chapel.

 

1145

PCG

East Sherborne, St Andrew, built for St John family.

 

c.1150

PCG

Overton, St Mary, built

 

c.1150

PCG

Sulhampstead Abbotts built. last likely date for building of Tadley St Peter.

 

c.1160

PCG

William Hotot owns estate worth knight’s fee in Tadley. First reference to Tadley Manor Place?

 

1166

VCH

Main part of priory in use, with farm, fish ponds and domestic buildings.

 

C.1180

FAD

Benham family holds land in Hants and Berks.

 

c.1189

DB

Basing Church built.   (see above, 1089 AD)

 

c.1190

PCG

Silchester Church built.

 

c.1190

PCG

Bramley wall painting, murder of Thomas á Beckett.

 

c.1200

PCC

Crusader chapel at Brimpton, possibly built Emblem of Knights of St John carved over door.

 

c.1200

ASC

Robert Hotot leases estate in Tadley worth 2 knight’s fee to
Henry de Soberton.

 

1205

VCH

William, great grandson of Henry de Port, marries heiress of St John family and takes her name, some time before this.

 

1205

FAD

PCG

Priory chancel and wall paintings added.

 

c.1220

FAD

King Henry III separates hundred of Chutely from Basing estate.

 

1228

?

Peter de Rufibus, bishop of Winchester, acquires patronage of Basing church and chapel, and passes it on to Selborne priory.

 

1233

PCG

Richard (Philip) de Lucy rector of Overton.

 

1246

LOI

FAD

Pope Innocent appoints chaplain Matthew Alperino rector of Overton, but revokes order when Philip de Luci proves he is still rector.

 

1247

FAD

East Sherborne, St Andrew, tower built.

 

c.1250

PCG

Henry fitz Stephen (fitz Henry) breaks into bishop’s wood, Taddele, and cuts down oak trees.

 

1253

FAD

DB

William Gauger, rector of Cheriton.

 

1259

LOI

Tadley, St Peter, enlarged.

 

c.1260

ASC

Bishop Ademar of Winchster gains papal mandate to recover rectory of Overton for bis clerk, William de Monte Gaugern, fron pluralist, master John Sackville, of A11 Hallows the great, London. (see entry for 1259, above, and for 1290/96, below)

 

1263

FAD

Pontiserta, bishop of Winchster, on death of Ticholas of Ely, former bishop.

 

1280

HCG

Willian of Basing prior of Winchester.

 

1285

WCG

Andrew Hotot being the owner, Reginald Fitz Piers dies holding the manor and church of Tadley, and manors of Wolverton and ‘Bedhampton’ among other holdings.

 

1286

HFC VCE

DB

William de Monte Gaugerii, rector of Cheriton

 

1290

LOI

Iterius de Angoulene, rector of Overton.

 

1295

LOI

William de Monte “Bauguerii” rector of Overton.

 

1296

LOI

Richard Achard  gives Aldermaston church to Sherborne priory, being owner of church and manor. Priory also have Sulhampstead Banister.

 

c. 1297

PCG

FAD

НЕС

Robert of Basing rector of Wootton St Lawrence, patron the prior and convent of St Swithun.

 

1300

LOI

East Sherborne, St Andres, chancel built.

 

c. 1300

PCG

Thomas de Schireborne, vicar of Overton with Tadley

 

1303

PCG

Richard de la More marries Christine Blunt, and gains land in Tadley. Thomas of Andover, vicar.

 

1305

LOI

Richard of Overton rector of Overton with Tadley.

 

1306

LOI

Richard Rocket vicar of Sherborne, All Saints.

 

1310

PCG

Simon de Shireford, rector of Baughurst.

 

1314

LOI

Willian de Artene vicar of Bramley.

 

c.1315

LOI

Stocktaking on death of bishop Sandale of Winchester, Nicholas de Wodemancote, bailiff, gave 3 oaks, value 32/-, in Tadley wood.

 

1319

CAW

Branley church in ruins; Willian de Godefray, vicar.

 

1320

LOI

Sherborne priory domestic buildings enlarged.

 

c.1320

FAD

Thomas Newman of Tadele ordained acolyte.

 

 

1322

CAW

Philip, vicar of Overton with Tadley.

 

1330

LOI

Roger de Kynewarton, vicar of Overton with Tadley.

 

1331

LOI

William de la More inherits estate in Tadley from Richard.

 

1337

?

Sherborne St Andrew and All Saints, windows.

 

c.1340

PCG

War with France. Edward III takes charge of Sherborne Priory.

 

c.1340

HFC

John Cooper (of Silchester) and Richard Twyhere of Tadley, jailed at Winchester for poaching deer.

 

1343

FAD

William de la More holds estate in Tadley worth half knight’s fee.

 

1346

?

John Cooper and Peter of Gouceaux, rector of Silchester, jailed at Winchester for poaching; Peter released on bail, loses living.

 

1347

PCG

John Peeche, knight, holds a messuage (house) and land in Tadeley. William de Byketon vicar of Overton with Tadley.

 

1349

VCH

Black death raging in England.

 

c.1350

?

Raulin and Margaret Brocas, memorial brass in Sherborne St Andrew.

 

1360

PCG

Mary, widow of John de Borhunte, marries Bernard Brocas, and they live at Bradley.

 

1361

?

Hugh Basyng prior of Winchester.

 

1362

WCG

Robert Fremantel, vicar of Overton with Tadley.

 

1376

LOI

Sherborne All Saints timber porch and door built.

 

c.1380

PCG

William Smart, vicar of Overton with Tadley.

 

1383

LOI

Walter Crestone, vicar of Overton with Tadley.

 

1391

LOI

Richard Machin, vicar of Overton with Tadley.

 

1406

LOI

John Benham holds rents in Tadele, continued to son Philip (died 1426) and grandson.

 

1414

VCH

William. John Somerye/Gregory vicar of Overton with Tadley.

 

1424

LOI

John de la More holds Wyford estate in Tadley, worth knight’s fee.

 

1428

?

Bishop Henry Beaufort of Winchester, rector of Baughurst.

 

c.1430

LOI

King Henry VI gives priory church to Eton College.

 

1446

?

John Norbury/Knight, vicar of Overton with Tadley.

 

1454

LOI

King Edward IV gives priory church to Hospital of St Julian (God’s House) in Southampton.

 

1462

PCG

William Hore, vicar of Overton with Tadley John Bussh, vicar of Overton with Tadley.

 

1465

LOI

William Benham dies, holding Tadley Place, like his father and grandfather. Daughter Joan inherits, and settles estate on husband William More.

 

1468

FAD VCH

Act of Parliament for the repair and upkeep of priory church.

 

1475

HFC

Henry de la More inherits Wyford (Wytheford, Wichford?) from William More, with lands in West Sherborne, Pamber, Innhurst, Tadeley, Baughurst in Hampshire.

 

1481

VCH

Nicholas de la More dies, holding manor of Wyford, (Tadley) and daughter Joan later marries William Ludlow of Hill Deverill, in Wiltshire.

 

1496

VCH

William Dunche, vicar of Overton with Tadley.

 

1499

LOI

Tadley St Peter’s chapel partly ruined by collapse of chancel arch as foundations subside. (latest probable date could be 1400 or earlier).

 

 

c.1500

ASC

Tadley St Peter, wood frame of south porch carved. possible date for gallery.

 

c.1500

VCH

John Ludlow marries Philippa Bulstrood, puts memorial glass in window of first floor room in Tadley Place: I. LUDLOW.son.&.heir.of. I.LUDLOW.&.PHELIPP.hys.wyf. daughter.of.W.BULSTROODE.

 

c.1510

DB VCH

Philippa inherits from brother Thomas William Hunt, vicar of Overton with Tadley.

 

1517

LOI

James Cowe, curate of Tadley (first mention of Tadley as curacy).

 

1520

CAW

Roger Goolde, vicar of Overton with Tadley.

 

1524

LOI

TADLEY is a village and parish, 5 miles south-west from Mortimer station, 48 from London, and 7 from Basingstoke,in the Northern division of the county, Kingsclere union and petty sessional division, Overton hundred, Basingstoke county court district, and in the diocese and archdeaconry of Winchester, and rural deanery of Andover north-eastern division. The church of St. Peter is a small fabric, in the style of the seventeenth century, consisting of a small tower, nave and chancel. The register dates from 1683. Theliving is a chapelry, annexed to Overton, annual value £230,in the gift of the Bishop of Winchester, and held hy the Rev.
Thomas Floud, m .a ., of Wadham College, Oxford, who resides at Overton; the Rev. Edward Saulez, m .a ., of St. Jennings Rev. George [Independent] Saulez Rev. Edward, m.a. [curate]” Smith William J. esq. The Firs Wells  Mr. John Westbank
1867 KEL

 

Key to Source references.

0.S.                         Ordnance Survey.

L.T.                         Local Tradition.

P.C.G.                   Parish Church Guide. This may include some verbal information from the Incumbent.

W.C.L.                   Winchester Cathedral Library; including extracts from the Saxon Chronicle.

H.F.C.                    Hampshire Field Club; including some work by Miss Florence Davidson

F.A.D.                    Miss Florence Agnes Davidson: including some notes made for the Rector of Tadley.

V.C.H.                    The Victoria History of the Counties of England.

D.B.                        A short history of Tadley and the Independent Chapel there, by D.B.

W.E.C.                   Hampshire Church Bells, by W.E.Colchester.

L.0.I.                      List of Incumbents; in the relevant church. W.C.G. Winchester Cathedral Guide.

D.N.B.                   Dictionary of National Biography. C.A.W. County Archive, Winchester; including work by the Hampshire Records Society.

C.B.                        Composition Book; from notes in the County Archive.

B.V.                        Bishop’s Visitation book, or Presentation book; in the County Archive

P.R.                        Parish  Registers of Tadley.

V.M.                      Minutes of Vestry Meeting in Tadley.

P.C.C.                    Minutes of Parochial Church Council Meeting in Tadley.

I.D.                         Inscribed Date.

A.S.C.                    Architecture Style Comparison. C.D. Clerical Register, 1845; and Crockford’s Clerical Directory.

KEL                         Kelly’s Directory.

NOTE:                   No allowance has been made for corrections to the calendar

 


 

 

 

 

Click here to post to your social media